As we count down the days of Winter to longer days and the sweet smell of Spring. Winter and the cooler months has us spending more time at home and entertaining friends and family inside.
Did you know that most renovations start with a kitchen? And if you’re selling, updating just this room can significantly increase the value of your home.
But did you also know that kitchen renovation build-times take anywhere between 4 – 10 weeks (not including design or ordering time)? So if you plan to have your kitchen ready to show off when it starts to warm up again, or want to stand out from the crowd during the Spring housing boom, it’s time to start planning!
Kitchen renovation // Build time 4 – 10 weeks
- Ordering fittings and fixtures: 1 – 3 months (based on lead times below)
- Demolition: 2 – 3 days •Make good (re-plaster walls, prepare floors): 2 – 4 days
- Rough in (run electrical and plumbing to new locations): 1 – 2 days
- Flooring: 3 – 5 days
- Install cabinets: 3 – 5 days
- Measure, fabricate and install countertops: 3 – 5 days
- Backsplash: 1 – 3 days
- Install appliances and lighting: 2 – 4 days
- Plumbing fit off: 1 – 2 days
- Painting: 1 – 2 days
Kitchen Lead Times
- Tapware: 1 – 10 weeks Finish and style options are endless, however lead times can vary. Don’t leave this to the last minute! Something to consider is a zip tap for instant sparkling or boiling water.
- Backsplash: 1 – 12 weeks Depending on the finish of your backsplash, be prepared to wait. Mirror backsplashes will need to be cut to size, as will stone. Tiles will take longer to install, but could be in stock depending on the quantity and availability.
- Countertops: 1 – 16 weeks We now have access to exotic stones from all over the world, but this means the perfect slab or slabs could be weeks away. Engineered and laminated surfaces are subject to stock availability.
- Sink: 1 – 12 weeks Under mount, over mount or the perfect farmhouse sink will need to be ordered and could come from overseas!
- Joinery: 1 – 6 weeks Getting your cabinets is a process – they need to be designed, drawn, check- measured, materials ordered, manufactured and installed.
- Cabinet hardware: 1 – 12 weeks The jewellery of any kitchen. You will get what you pay for. With long lead times, triple check the quantity before you order.
- Appliances: 1 – 14 weeks Appliances are crucial and can make or break a kitchen renovation. Selecting the right appliance package for you takes time and trial. We now have appliance test kitchens at our disposal, so why not use them before investing your money.
- Lighting: 1 – 8 weeks Task lighting and down lights are generally in stock, but you’ll probably have to wait for the feature pendants above your new island bench.
Now all you have to kick start your spring renovation is contact our Lifestyle Manager’s to schedule some time with Graham!